- What is Gift Aid?
- Claiming Gift Aid as a Charity Organization
- Configuring your Gateway
- Enabling Gift Aid on a Donation Page
What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is an income tax relief designed to benefit Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs). If you’re a UK taxpayer, Gift Aid increases the value of a charity donation by 25%, because the Charity Organization can reclaim the basic rate of tax on the gift – at no extra cost to the giver.
Claiming Gift Aid as a Charity Organization
Key facts about claiming back Gift Aid on a donation:
- You must be registered as a charity with the Charity Commission.
- The individual must fill out a Gift Aid declaration form.
- You can claim online and get payment within 5 weeks.
See Gov.UK for more information about how to claim Gift Aid as a charity.
Configuring your Gateway
When your Gateway is configured for British Pound Sterling (GBP), you'll see an option allowing you to configure the Gift Aid feature by navigating to Account Settings -> Payment Providers. From there, add or edit the Gateway that will process donations in GBP by selecting "UK Pound" as the currency.
When you select UK Pound you will have two options appear related to how Gift Aid is presented to your donors on your donation forms.
Option 1 - Gift Aid Checkbox
On the donation form, a checkbox will appear asking the donor to claim Gift Aid. You may customize this language as appropriate. By default, the following text is provided: Yes, I would like to claim Gift Aid.
Option 2 - Gift Aid Description
On the donation form below the checkbox, descriptive text will be provided to educate the donor on how Gift Aid works. You may customize this language as appropriate. By default, the following text is provided: By ticking the “Yes” box, I agree I would like this organization to reclaim the tax on all qualifying donations I have made, as well as any future donations, until I notify them otherwise. I understand that if I pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all my donations in that tax year I may be asked to pay any difference. I understand that this organization will reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that I give.
Click "Save" to set your gateway's currency as UK Pound.
Enabling Gift Aid on a Donation Page
By updating your Gateway settings, RaiseDonors does not automatically convert any of your donation pages to display Gift Aid information. Any page that needs to present Gift Aid as an option will need to be manually updated once Gift Aid is enabled for your Gateway.
This allows you to have multiple pages tied to one Gateway supporting Gift Aid, but selectively choose which pages will present Gift Aid as an option.
To enable Gift Aid on a donation page:
- Go to the Pages section
- Edit the Page you'd like to add Gift Aid to
- In the "Setup" step, scroll to "Donation Setup"
- If you have more than one Payment Provider setup, you will want to select the provider configured for GBP.
- You will now see an option to, "Show Gift Aid Option".
- By default the option will be set to "No". If you'd like to display the Gift Aid option on your page, select "Yes".
- Click "Save"